report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Kaaat Kaaat is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Is this email a scam?

First off, I work from home as a freelancer and have used odesk.com for most of my work. However, when I applied to one job the person I was applying for asked my email.
This is what I was sent:

Hello,

Staffmark Company Limited
Amber Business Center
Green-hill Lane Ridding
Derbyshire DE55 4BR

Staffmark is an innovative national retailer of contemporary home furnishings with sales in excess of 230MM.With more than 85% of our furniture manufactured in United Kingdom,we use beautiful natural materials to create furniture that is classic simple and inspiring. We are passionate about working together to serve our customers.Our headquartered is located in United Kingdom(London),is a profitable,privately-held company on the fast track. Due to this fast-paced growth, we are expanding our USA market and looking for overachievers to be part of the team! Our Mission is to provide the best service to our customers.We pay $750 per Week for this position.

We have stores and delivery centers in 6 European countries and as part of our ongoing expansion project we are excited to be opening a new branch in America that's why we are in search of competent and efficient proxies,who can help us establish a medium of getting to our customers in America with primary duties to include receipt of funds from our customers,responsible for consistently meeting customer needs,customer service call goals,providing solutions that will solve customer problems,Act as a final escalation point for problems related to customer service support.Our Customer service Representatives will ensure that Staffmark customers receive exceptional service and take great pride in being the best in the furniture delivery field. They should understand they are a critical link in the sales process, solidifying the customer’s relationship with our company.

We are looking for a candidate with a strong background in Accounts Receivable/Payable with excellent customer service skills. This is an exciting and fun environment to work in with great upside potential. This is a part-time position available for IMMEDIATE start.

JOB DESCRIPTION

Receiving check payment from our customers,Handle customer questions and complaints with the highest degree of courtesy and professionalism to resolve customer issues with one call resolution.You will be offering alternative solutions where appropriate with the objective of retaining customer's business.You will handle business transactions in connection with activation of new customer accounts on a computer terminal.

GENERAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS WHICH ARE NORMALLY REQUIRED:

•Assist us with processing purchase orders
•processing any of our funds made out by our costumers within America
•Receiving and confirming payment and billing information from our customers
•Collect and track payments/ issue refunds
•Credit and reference checks issued by customer
•Payment tracking
•Opens customer accounts by recording account information.
•Maintains customer records by updating account information.
•Utilizes mechanized systems to initiate and complete service orders and handle customer requests.
•Provide assistance to customers who are experiencing customer service issues in a courteous and efficient manner.
•Recommends potential products or services to management by collecting customer information and analyzing customer needs.
•Maintains financial accounts by processing customer adjustments.
•Resolves product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem;
•Prepares product or service reports by collecting and analyzing customer information.
•Provide assistance to customers who are experiencing customer service issues in a courteous and efficient manner.
•Make recommendations according to customer’s needs on features, accessories, upgrades and rate plans.
•Continually maintain working knowledge of all company products, services and promotions.

Staffmark offers a dynamic yet casual and fun work environment.We recognize that our employees are the key to our future,so we offers a unique environment where your ideas are always appreciated and your contributions make an important difference. Because of this philosophy, we offer competitive compensation packages and top-notch benefits for every employee. All of our employees enjoy the ability to make an immediate impact,learn new things and partake in a high-energy, vibrant working environment with extremely accomplished people.

We search for talented individuals who want to be a part of something challenging, exciting and fun. Every individual is critical to our success, and we recognize that we will only succeed as a team. We are one of the leaders in furniture making industry.You will feel the energy of a young company with a bright future.

Sequel to your acceptance of this offer and would like to work for Staffmark Furniture you are to Fill in the requested information below and get back to me ASAP...

1.) First Name:
2.) Last Name:
3.) Home Address:
4,) City:
5.) State:
6.) Zip code:
7.) Mobile Phone Number:
8.) Home Phone Number:
9.) Gender:
10.) Status:
11.) Age:
12.) Present Job:
13.)Email Address


Thanks for your understanding as i look forward to hear from you soon.

Mr.James Robert
Recruiting officer
Staffmark Company Limited

---

At the time, I was half asleep and filled out the information but the next day I noticed how many spelling errors were inside of the email and how he's telling me he is going to send me money wanting me to re-wire it. I'm pretty sure that is illegal?

I'm a little worried that I gave him my information and I know from now on I'm never going to let anyone on odesk email me.

Is this a scam and what should I do? I'm pretty upset.


Bookmark and Share

Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 AM
mumbles's Avatar
mumbles mumbles is offline
Most Valued Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,803
Re: Is this email a scam?

Quote:
Receiving check payment from our customers
yes, it is a very common scam. the scammer will send you a fake check, but your bank will cash it for you. it will be your job to rush to western union and send cash to somebody, someplace.

in a week or two, you bank will tell you the check was fake and ask you to make it good the same day, before they have to call the police.

then you will find that the person you were emailing does not represent any company and you don't know his real name or even what country he is in.

every job that says the company is going to have company funds sent to you at home is a fraud. every company is very careful not to have their funds deposited in any other bank account beside the company bank account.

in any real company, putting customer funds in your own account would be cause for termination/prosecution.





Last edited by mumbles : 02-19-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Meri Widow's Avatar
Meri Widow Meri Widow is offline
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,252
Re: Is this email a scam?

100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion. When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "FBI@ gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement official can be extremely funny.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "check mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

Thanks for posting up the information on that scammer.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!
__________________
Found a scam email or fake website? Post your info over at ScamWarners.com

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com


Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
mumbles's Avatar
mumbles mumbles is offline
Most Valued Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,803
Re: Is this email a scam?

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/

you can look there for companies claiming to be in UK.

use webcheck. staffmark isn't there.

i think not much he can do with your info. he wanted you to cash a fake check, and if you won't fall for it, he is on to find a sucker who will.



Last edited by mumbles : 02-19-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Kaaat Kaaat is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Is this email a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion. When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "FBI@ gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement official can be extremely funny.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "check mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

Thanks for posting up the information on that scammer.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!
Thank you. I also have one more question. Should I throw away the check or return it to the sender. And also, he's not going to come to my house or anything, right?


Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 AM
mumbles's Avatar
mumbles mumbles is offline
Most Valued Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,803
Re: Is this email a scam?

i think you should destroy the check. you got the check already?

i would tell him you had to bail your mom out of jail and used the rest for lottery tickets. ask him to send some more money cause all your friends say he is a mugu (nigerian for fool).

no, he's not coming to your house. he's going to stay in that internet cafe in nigeria. they stay open 24/7.


Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Kaaat Kaaat is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Is this email a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
i think you should destroy the check. you got the check already?

i would tell him you had to bail your mom out of jail and used the rest for lottery tickets. ask him to send some more money cause all your friends say he is a mugu (nigerian for fool).

no, he's not coming to your house. he's going to stay in that internet cafe in nigeria. they stay open 24/7.
I haven't got the check yet but after the third email his messages started to get a little weird:
"How are you doing? I am doing fine myself and I and sorry for the delay.. I am presently in Philippines to buy some raw materials needed by our customer’s also by our company. One of our Customers has just confirmed to me that he has sent a check payment to you via USPS which will be delivered to you by next week end...

I will advise that you look out for the check in your mail box and inform me once you get it for further instructions the cheque also covers for your first week wages which is $750 when you get the cheque you are to cash it deduct your first week wages and wire the refund via western union.

The money you will be wiring will be used to ship the goods that I have purchased here to the customer that has sent you the payment and also for the shipment of the company raw materials needed buy our company for up coming exhibition in US which you are invited.. Your transportation will be paid for the exhibition if you will like to come let me know...

I hope we are on same page and if you have any question free to ask.
Best Regards
Mr.James Robert"

Why would a customer be sending me money?

I'm glad he sent that because otherwise I may have fallen for it.


Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Meri Widow's Avatar
Meri Widow Meri Widow is offline
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,252
Re: Is this email a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaat View Post
Should I throw away the check or return it to the sender. And also, he's not going to come to my house or anything, right?
Shred the check, the "sender" is another victim who thinks he/she has a job printing checks. That victim was given a stolen name/address to use on the envelope, so the "shipper's" name has nothing to do with the scam.

No, that scammer isn't going to come to your house. He only moves off his rented cyber cafe chair to walk to the Western Union counter to pick up cash. He couldn't find your country or city on a map if it was labeled, geography is not taught in "scammer" school.
__________________
Found a scam email or fake website? Post your info over at ScamWarners.com

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com


Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Kaaat Kaaat is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Is this email a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/

you can look there for companies claiming to be in UK.

use webcheck. staffmark isn't there.

i think not much he can do with your info. he wanted you to cash a fake check, and if you won't fall for it, he is on to find a sucker who will.
Thank you this made me feel better. I live with a growing family so I was worried. I am brand new to working online and am probably very susceptible to being scammed. I'm going to make sure everything is legit from now on. I'm glad I posted on here before it was too late. The relief is great.


Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 AM
mumbles's Avatar
mumbles mumbles is offline
Most Valued Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,803
Re: Is this email a scam?

the fake checks are drawn on real company accounts, but the person writing to you doesn't own the account. he just needs somebody to cash the check and send him money by western union. there is no identification required to pick up western union, and it doesn't matter what address you send it to, because it isn't delivered, it is picked up at any agent, anywhere.


Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Meri Widow's Avatar
Meri Widow Meri Widow is offline
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,252
Re: Is this email a scam?

Another clue you can look for to help determine if are dealing with a scammer is the phone number given.

Any phone number that starts with +44-70 or anything similar is not based in the United Kingdom. It is from a UK based cell phone redirect service that can be answered by anyone anywhere in the world. It is a favorite service of scammers who want to pretend to be in the United Kingdom but are really half way around the world from there.
__________________
Found a scam email or fake website? Post your info over at ScamWarners.com

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com


Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Samtheman Samtheman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 212
Re: Is this email a scam?

There is one simple way to know it's a scam, in the U.K, someone will not call himself Mr.James Robert, but just James Robert. I've never seen people adding Mr. or Mrs. to their name in letters, it probably does happen but I've been dealing with a lot of companies and banks and never seen that.


Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 AM
mikelouis's Avatar
mikelouis mikelouis is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 470
Re: Is this email a scam?

It is a scam run! I think the fact that you will be handling the payments from customers is the first way to know it is a scam. Which company will trust you with checks from their customers on your first day.



Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email scam!!! lisha.16@live.com Investment Scams 7 10-19-2010 11:28 PM
eMail Scam elliskatz@sbcglobal.net Internet Scams 1 09-06-2010 06:09 AM
Is this email a scam? AXJ Business Scams 2 11-14-2008 09:08 AM
Megaupload.com Email scammer, they sold my email ntexas Internet Scams 0 01-30-2008 09:45 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




This site may contain advice, opinions and statements of various information providers. Scam.com does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any information provider, any User of this Site or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement, or other information shall also be at the User’s own risk. Neither Scam.com nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers, shall be liable to any User or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, alteration of or use of any content herein, or for its timeliness or completeness, nor shall they be liable for any failure of performance, computer virus or communication line failure, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom. Just because a business, person, or entity is listed on scam.com does not necessarily constitute they are scammers. This is a free open forum where people can debate the merits from the consumer's or business owner's perspective. Registration and participation is always FREE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.




Scam.com Is Proudly Hosted By Rackco and Protected By CloudFlare


Scams Message Board - Copyright 2004-2013 Scam.com , All Rights Reserved.