report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Nu Skinís Biophotonic scanner: The Ultimate Scam

There's already a thread here about Sandie Tillotson (co-founder of Nu Skin) who was married to Adam Baker (husband #3) and his book about their marriage and ugly divorce.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/civil-ri...lthy-d0aab.htm

I read the book, am not surprised it was removed yet am surprised something so obviously defamatory had to be bullied off the web instead of legally removed, anyway, what really stood out to me was the information about the Biophotonic scanner found in the chapter, ĎAll of the Bad, None of the Goodí. Apparently this scanner is preprogrammed to Ďrecognizeí the person and give an increased result just so Nu Skin doesnít have to give any money back on their guarantee.

This makes me wonder what else is a scam about their product line? And how would anyone really know about it unless they were married to Sandie herself? (From the description of her ex, I wouldnít want to be.)

Can any device be trusted that is not FDA approved?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nu Skinís Biophotonic scanner: The Ultimate Sc

If it's not FDA approved, then that is a warning sign. If there is no way to actually prove what the device does, aside from what the operator tells you it does, then that's another warning sign.

My dad bought these stupid outlet plug filler things that you just plug into unused electrical outlets. It's "supposed" to do something with the currents, but I forget what. They are simply plastic boxes you plug into the wall. They just sit there. Maybe they do some crazy invisible magic with the electirical currents, or maybe they do nothing. Point is, you'd never know either way! If you buy them, you are at the mercy of the person who told you what they do.

What's so scammy about the biophotonic scanner is that it would seemingly disqualify people for the MLM's products if it were to show them to be healthy. For instance, why would I need all these expensive MLM lotions and creams if my skin was already 100% healthy just by doing what I normally do? Why would you want people to know that they have healthy skin, even if it were true? That would just make them not want to buy your products because you just proved to them they are fine without it!

Of course Nu Skin knows that, which is why they would never tell someone they have healthy skin. The consumer needs to be smart enough to see that conflict of interest.

To me, Nu Skin should just tell everyone their skin can "always be healthier", instead of trying to falsify quasi-medical readings in order to scam them into joining an MLM with overpriced products.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs2stop View Post
If it's not FDA approved, then that is a warning sign. If there is no way to actually prove what the device does, aside from what the operator tells you it does, then that's another warning sign.

My dad bought these stupid outlet plug filler things that you just plug into unused electrical outlets. It's "supposed" to do something with the currents, but I forget what. They are simply plastic boxes you plug into the wall. They just sit there. Maybe they do some crazy invisible magic with the electirical currents, or maybe they do nothing. Point is, you'd never know either way! If you buy them, you are at the mercy of the person who told you what they do.

What's so scammy about the biophotonic scanner is that it would seemingly disqualify people for the MLM's products if it were to show them to be healthy. For instance, why would I need all these expensive MLM lotions and creams if my skin was already 100% healthy just by doing what I normally do? Why would you want people to know that they have healthy skin, even if it were true? That would just make them not want to buy your products because you just proved to them they are fine without it!

Of course Nu Skin knows that, which is why they would never tell someone they have healthy skin. The consumer needs to be smart enough to see that conflict of interest.

To me, Nu Skin should just tell everyone their skin can "always be healthier", instead of trying to falsify quasi-medical readings in order to scam them into joining an MLM with overpriced products.

Thise links basically had comments that looks like it waas written by Amway IBO's.
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool44
Learn to read you fvcking moron. I never claimed those pages were from IBO's.
And he admits to changing people's posts!
Quote:
By the way, I only change links when people make personal (unsubstantiated) attacks on me. I find it works quite effectively when I employ that tactic.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it!

Speaking of little magic boxes you can plug into any wall outlet...

I found this little gizmo online.

The EPS Power Saver uses a combination of filtration and correction techniques to improve the efficiency of various appliances and circuits. In addition, the intelligent technology optimises the voltage and current demands thus reducing the active power / KWH demands and achieves around 10% to 20% savings on your electricity bill.

Now that's a....

Here's a good one....
"That's why I changed my 'story'".
Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Newbie Member

The level of misinformation in this thread is incredible.

First, the scanner uses method called Raman scattering, a well established technique for analytical chemistry. Scanner readings have been matched to skin antioxident levels which were correlated with internal antioxident levels. All of this has been established in peer reviewed literature, including Nature which is the world's premier scientific journal.

Here's some links to journal articles examining this methodology:

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v1.../5600819a.html

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v...cn201231a.html

Also, the commenter who said the scanner is programmed to automatically give a low reading and then "remember" you and give a higher reading is committing libel. I know you can get a good score on the antioxidant levels because I've seen in happen. I had the test performed and I got an extremely high score. This was expected because I am a vegan. But the person administering the test had no idea what my diet consisted of. They could not have gotten my score correct unless the device accurately reported the levels.

There are some unanswered questions about the long term health benefits of the supplements that NuSkin is selling. This is going to be true for a long time because nutrition is a never-ending science. But critics of the biophotonic scanner need to base their criticism in fact, and the criticisms of NuSkin on this page are totally ignorant.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

The fact remains that it is inherently a conflict of interest to use a device which utilizes "psuedo-science" as a means to determine one's health. It also doesn't make sense from a business perspective unless you know that the device is going to compel consumers to buy your product. As was previously pointed out, why perform a scan on a potential customer only to find out they have perfect skin and don't need your product? Do you just want to help the general public by letting them know how good their skin quality is? Is this philanthropic work Nu Skin is doing?

Bottomline, I don't need to perform a test on people to determine their energy level in order to sell them energy drinks. I don't need to perform tests on people to test for vitamin C deficiencies in order to sell them vitamins.

So then why test "skin quality" unless you know that most subjects will "fail" and then you can sell them a bill of goods to "fix" the problem?

Pier-reviewed journals are a great distraction to throw in someone's face, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the biophotonic scanner doesn't make sense even if it works as Nu Skin says it does. It's essentially just a prop used to generate sales of overpriced products, regardless of how it is used in a medical capacity.

Last edited by needs2stop : 04-11-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Cranky Old Fart

You gotta love the DO's & DONT'S when marketing this gizmo:

http://www.nuskin.com/content/dam/AEsoP/pdf/ScanningDosandDoNot.pdf

This statement is particularly entertaining:

Quote:
It is not a medical device or diagnostic tool of any kind and cannot diagnose, treat, mitigate, cure or prevent any disease or affect the structure or any function of the body, nor is it a health assessment tool.
Not a diagnostic tool of any kind?

Then what's the whole point of the thing?

BTW, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'll have to include it in my Wacky World of MLM Products thread.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
You gotta love the DO's & DONT'S when marketing this gizmo:

http://www.nuskin.com/content/dam/AEsoP/pdf/ScanningDosandDoNot.pdf

This statement is particularly entertaining:

Not a diagnostic tool of any kind?

Then what's the whole point of the thing?

BTW, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'll have to include it in my Wacky World of MLM Products thread.
I know, it's amazing the audacity of these people. They sit there and tells us bald faced lies about their product, then point us to their disclaimer which contradicts them, but covers their butts legally.

The guy defending this earlier started talking all this stuff about anti-oxidant analysis and pier reviewed journals, but clearly NU Skin's own company literature states that their scanner is not a real device of any sort. Thus making it little more than a marketing ploy.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Newbie Member

Raman Scattering is an established scientific method for analytical chemistry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raman_spectroscopy

So unless you consider analytical chemistry to be "pseudo-science", then maybe you should reframe your criticism of NuSkin.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Comlish View Post
Raman Scattering is an established scientific method for analytical chemistry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raman_spectroscopy

So unless you consider analytical chemistry to be "pseudo-science", then maybe you should reframe your criticism of NuSkin.
So how come their disclaimer says it doesn't do what the rest of the site implies that it does?

Those pesky lawyers and rules and regulations just ruin all the fun, don't they.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

His rebuttals are part of the scam. If the person starts contesting you, respond with big words and scientific terminology. Make it seem like YOU know what you are talking about and THEY don't. Force them into a situation where they have to debate scientific things they are not a subject matter expert in, then make them look foolish for doing so.

Other than that, common sense clearly shows this scam for what it is. Their reps say one thing, their lawyers say another. Which one is lying I wonder? Both maybe?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs2stop View Post
His rebuttals are part of the scam. If the person starts contesting you, respond with big words and scientific terminology. Make it seem like YOU know what you are talking about and THEY don't. Force them into a situation where they have to debate scientific things they are not a subject matter expert in, then make them look foolish for doing so.

Other than that, common sense clearly shows this scam for what it is. Their reps say one thing, their lawyers say another. Which one is lying I wonder? Both maybe?
Incredible. In other words, skeptics don't have to know anything about science because they rely on "common sense". Sounds strangely akin to creationism.

You're trying to impugn a scientific methodology based on a legal disclaimer. C.Y.A. legalese is a ubiquitous part of our litigious culture. There are similar legal disclaimers that come with the bathroom scale you bought. By your reasoning you would claim that bathroom scales are therefore a "scam" invented to market weight-loss products to people.

Well, scales aren't scam, they are basic physics. Likewise the biophotonic scanner is an established methodology to assess skin carotenoid levels.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Comlish View Post
Incredible. In other words, skeptics don't have to know anything about science because they rely on "common sense". Sounds strangely akin to creationism.
You're trying to impugn a scientific methodology based on a legal disclaimer. C.Y.A. legalese is a ubiquitous part of our litigious culture. There are similar legal disclaimers that come with the bathroom scale you bought. By your reasoning you would claim that bathroom scales are therefore a "scam" invented to market weight-loss products to people.
Well, scales aren't scam, they are basic physics. Likewise the biophotonic scanner is an established methodology to assess skin carotenoid levels.
Ridiculous.

If science backed up the Nu skin MLM scam's stories they wouldn't need a disclaimer that says it doesn't.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM

I still vividly remember the night that my father invited my brother and his wife and I over to dinner 20+ years ago and then hit us up with NuSkin. I was then an early twenty-something, healthy, blonde, fit, and cute and I was always complimented on how beautiful my skin wasóI had a porcelain doll-like complexion and never had any issue with acne or that sort of thing. And he started out with me by saying "your skin looks kind of red and unevenóyou really need these products".

*shakes head and rolls eyes*

Still, 20+ years later.

The MLM mentality is just so...

...whatever.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Honestly, and I'm being serious here. Wouldn't your skin be in better condition if you just put a bunch of vaseline lotion on it? That stuff is what, $3 a bottle?

If someone has dry skin, rub a bunch of lotion on it. If you have acne or some skin disease, well, NuSkin ain't gonna' cure that anyway.

It's insane that this company and it's representatives suggest people with dry or discolored skin pay $50-100 even $200 for basic products that can be purchased at discount retailers for 1/10th the price.

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
Now while I'm sure you still turn heads....I couldn't help myself....the following is tongue in cheek....
All in fun wabajack, as I know I am in a worse boat than you, I thought it was amazing what 20 years could do to us....50 years of life and gravity does take its toll!!
The shifty eyes and talking out of the side of your mouth are a big cause of the wrinkles. You might want to check it out.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM

*cue music* "I'm sexy and I know it..."

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
Ridiculous.

If science backed up the Nu skin MLM scam's stories they wouldn't need a disclaimer that says it doesn't.
My bathroom scale come with a very similar legal disclaimer. Are you suggesting that bathroom scales are a "scam"?