report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Re: Amway/Quixtar Petition Against - Please help S

Thanks calvinandhobbes. After reading merchants of deception, it looks like Amway is breaking the law as their primary source of income is based on the tapes, conferences, seminars, books that they sell to their DOWNLINES.

Are you mad?

Do you know that the latest figures show that they sold $8 billion of product. Notice that... PRODUCT. Not tapes or anything else but PRODUCT.

Please, keep on with your petition, its all good for a laugh!
Thise links basically had comments that looks like it waas written by Amway IBO's.
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool44
Learn to read you fvcking moron. I never claimed those pages were from IBO's.
And he admits to changing people's posts!
Quote:
By the way, I only change links when people make personal (unsubstantiated) attacks on me. I find it works quite effectively when I employ that tactic.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
So, if they went ahead and did that, how are they ''barely legal'' now?

What exactly is the legal definition of ''barely legal''?
McD's doesn't have to worry about whether people are buying high priced product just to participate in a compensation plan...their product is bought to be consumed, there is no grey area. McD's owners don't have to be worried about being cunfused with a pyramid scheme because there is no franchiser selling franchices and so on. McD's doesn't have to worry about inventory loading laws, they just manage their inventory as business people do. They don't have to worry about income claims when ringing up their happy meals. Etc, etc, etc.

Want to talk nutrition....now you can start talking about some level of shadieness (ethically speaking) of McD's....but business model and the law comapred to Amway, no. Amway is far closer to the line than McD's.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
try opening your eyes first. barely legal surely applies to amway far more than McD's as McD's didn't go through a lengthy court fight to stay in business that resulted in making concessions (read: changes) to their business to avoid court actions.
1. As Chris points out, franchising went through lots of fights to be accepted

2. I assume you're referring to the UK court case? As is made clear in the appeal judgement, the changes Amway made to the model there did not play a role in the court clearing Amway of the BERR charges. The major issue in the UK was poor field monitoring (a problem everywhere) and Amway has taken that lesson on board and is being far more proactive.

Quote:
McD's has never been exposed for having 75% of earnings come from training distributors rather than product sales....Amway's posterboy has been exposed for that.
Oh? Who is Amway's "posterboy"? There are a handful of top Amway business owners who make significant income from training. Given the vast majority of that income is from training people outside their personal organisation, why is this a problem?

Quote:
from the start of this thread, I've questioned the pettition since there needs to be actual laws in place to shut down a company....but the obvious reality of the situation is that Amway is a heck of a lot closer to the line between legal and illegal than McD's ever has been with regard to their business model. (coffee temperature maybe, but not the business model ).
How is Amway "close" to illegality? Which line and which laws?

New to scam.com? This is what you can expect from MLM critics in support of their claims ....

Why the f-u-c-k do you need evidence all the time? - Zapticon
You know that I don't provide proof of my claims - Once Upon A Time
I have the information but I'm not posting it - Joecool

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM

Thats my question too calvin.
What is it exactly that Amway is doing to make it ''barely legal''? Genuine question, I really dont get what you mean.
Thise links basically had comments that looks like it waas written by Amway IBO's.
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Quote:
By the way, I only change links when people make personal (unsubstantiated) attacks on me. I find it works quite effectively when I employ that tactic.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM
noted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOFightBack View Post
1. As Chris points out, franchising went through lots of fights to be accepted

How is Amway "close" to illegality? Which line and which laws?
Seems like we have another brainwashed Chris or Kerry type here..

Welcome to the game..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr poormouth View Post
Is there an MLM for guns?
If not, why not? Seems a perfect fit to the anti-corporate, anti-government, rugged individualist profile of the "average" MLMer.

What would be the auto-ship minimum, and would it be just ammo, or ammo, combined with cleaning and re-loading supplies?
just ammo, the value of ammo has gone up consideralby the last 18 months
I never resort to ad hominems or calling people child molesters. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by needs2stop View Post
Who's Brian, Chris? The last boy you did? Just wondering.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Band

Quote:
What is it exactly that Amway is doing to make it ''barely legal''? Genuine question, I really dont get what you mean.
the amway wiki has most of the general stuff....it was ruled not a pyramid scheme but order to make certain changes.
Quote:
In a 1979 ruling,[16][65] the Federal Trade Commission found that Amway does not qualify as a pyramid scheme since Amway compensation system is based on retail sales to consumers, not payments for recruiting.
It did, however, order Amway to stop retail price fixing and allocating customers among distributors and prohibited the company from misrepresenting the amount of profit, earnings or sales its distributors are likely to achieve with the business. Amway was ordered to accompany any such statements with the actual averages per distributor, pointing out that more than half of the distributors do not make any money, with the average distributor making less than $100 per month.
then there's the training tape crap...

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
the amway wiki has most of the general stuff....it was ruled not a pyramid scheme but order to make certain changes.then there's the training tape crap...

So they changed these things 30 years ago, but you still think they're ''barely legal''

If IBOFightback doesnt mind the link, this explains the ignorance about Amway perfectly:

LINK
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 AM
noted...

Quote:

If IBOFightback doesnt mind the link,
Ahh trying to make friends.. Hug - Hug..

And who knows that link might of been written by him..

"October 20th, 2009 | Posted in Commentary, JoeCool, Rocket, Scott Larsen by ibofightback"

Last edited by fastmoney : 11-05-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverthorn View Post
Thanks calvinandhobbes. After reading merchants of deception, it looks like Amway is breaking the law as their primary source of income is based on the tapes, conferences, seminars, books that they sell to their DOWNLINES.
You've been misled by someone. Amway makes virtually no money at all from "tapes/conferences/seminars etc".

What you appear to be talking about is the several dozen independent training companies that have been set up by successful Amway business owners (ABOs) to train other ABOs.

By what law is it illegal to sell training and motiviational materials to people?

Quote:
And teh facts are 99% of people who join Amway lose.
Have you got any evidence to support that claim? Don't bother pointing to the likes of Fitzgerald and Taylor, their "analysis" is predicated on the idea that people who are primarily shoppers are somehow "losing money". It's like claiming everyone who joins CostCo or Sam's Club is losing money because they paid a membership fee.

Neither Amway, CostCo, nor Sam's Club say you're going to make money just by being a member to buy stuff cheaper.

Quote:
The reply that is given is "business investments cost money and time". IMO, you have a better chance of inventing a product that you believe works and showing YOUR real product to thousands of people, rather than purchasing expensive products from Amway and begging others to do what you're doing so that you can get a commission out of it.
Ok, so what youä're saying is that instead of showing your products to thousands of people and showing how they can get them cheaper, you should just be showing them to thousands of people? Yeah, that makes sense

Quote:
You should never pay to have a job EVER.
Probably good advice, so what's your point? Amway's not a job.

Quote:
You should not be forced to attend conferences and pay $500.
Nobody is forced to attend conferences. Only a small percentage of ABOs attend conferences.

Quote:
I worked for a huge company and they would pay me for bus rides to conferences, sitting in on conferences.
Who earned the majority of the income from the work you did - them or you?

Quote:
I devoted time and got paid an hourly wage and was never forced to purchase books and tapes. If they wanted me to listen to tapes and read their books, they gave it to me for free and gave me the option of
Nobody in Amway is "forced to purchase books and tapes". The vast majority of ABOs never do.

Quote:
Amway says it's not required but the "uplines" will say it's essential
Experience shows that they help. Would you have us not tell people about stuff we believe helps develop a profitable business? You want us to actually withhold information we believe will help them build profitable, stable businesses?

Quote:
Lawyers can easily build cases. calvinandhobbes - the government can easily make what Amway does illegal just from the primary source of income is from the peopel you recruit and not from the products itself.
Amway, nor Amway distributors, doesn't make any money from recruiting people. You apparently don't know much at all about Amway. If what you claimed was true, then you'd be correct.

Quote:
It's a calculated fraud/scam. Even the "diamonds" (who are those that move about $100,000 in goods from them and THEIR downline distributors) LOSE money throughout the year, or make very little... based on having to attend "mandatory" seminars..
In 2005 the average Diamond in the US did around $7,500,000/yr in turnover, not $100,000. You're talking out of your *ss. Some Diamonds might be losing money, but they're (a) probably former Diamonds, not qualifying and (b) built a pretty crappy business structure

Quote:
Anyways, China has banned Amway (I believe)
China is Amway's biggest market and Amway is one of the favourite brands there.

Quote:
and UK is continuing to fight to get rid of Amway.
BERR made the mistake of believing the likes of FitzPatrick, Taylor, and Scheibeler. The court didn't fall for it, Amway won the case, and they appeal. That's four judges who didn't fall for it.

Quote:
Amway has dropped prices 50% there
Amway dropped prices around 15-25% on about a dozen products. Out of over 400. They did the same throughout Europe.

Quote:
, banned selling of tools/books to other distributors, and more)..
Not true, though there are stricter controls.

Quote:
5 years to release average incomes?
Quote:
Read Merchants of Deception from a guy who reached the top of the ranks.
Here's the major ranks -

platinum
founders platinum
sapphire
founders sapphire
emerald
founders emerald ***
diamond
founders diamond
double diamond
founders diamond
triple diamond
founders triple diamond
crown
founders crown
crown ambassador
founders crown ambassador
founders crown ambassador 40 FAA
founders crown ambassador 50 FAA
founders crown ambassador 60 FAA
founders crown ambassador 70 FAA

Scheibeler's top level is marked by ***. Not exactly "the top of the ranks" is it. Far more than most do, sure, but tens of thousands of people around the world have reached that level. Over 5000 have reached levels higher.

Quote:
He sponsored 10,000 people altogether and said he can only count TEN PEOPLE out of all of them that made OVER ONE DOLLAR A YEAR. The rest were LOSING
Utter BS. First of all he likely only personaly sponsored 20 to 40. Some of them he'd know how much they made, but most he wouldn't have a clue, even if it was that many in his total group.

Quote:
You'd wonder why they don't release average incomes.
As already noted, "average" in non-normal, non-homogenous distribution is a meaningless number. It's IS reported (contrary to your claims). The reason why is because of bureacratic rules. Some updated figures have recently been released in the EU. This is for more homogenous, more normal groups, so "average" actually reflects something meaningful

(1) Founders Platinum €2434/mth
(2) Founders Emerald €4668/mth
(3) Founders Diamond €11271/mth

This is *only* for income from their businesses within Europe, most people at Emerald and above have extended outside those markets, many have multiple businesses within Europe. It also does not include numerous all expenses paid luxury trips.

Quote:
Amway needs to die... I'm no lawyer or politician.. and I know there is a movement, but as long as the company is around, 99% of the people tehre will be fooled into staying and lose a lot of money for somethign they have ZERO chance of succeeding at
Anyone who thinks "chance" is their way to success absolutely has zero "chance" of succeeding. It's based on hard work, knowledge, skill, and getting results.

New to scam.com? This is what you can expect from MLM critics in support of their claims ....

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Doesn't it mean they just turned 18? Amway just celebrated it's 50th birthday, I figure it's way past "barely legal" and even well out of the MILF stage

Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Doesn't it mean they just turned 18? Amway just celebrated it's 50th birthday, I figure it's way past "barely legal" and even well out of the MILF stage
lol.... that must be it.
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Nobody in Amway is "forced to purchase books and tapes". The vast majority of ABOs never do.
Have you purchased any books and tapes? How much have you earned while working for Amway. I know you're trained not to tell your income and it's "none of our business". But if it's so great, let us know how much you're earning.

Better yet, let us know how much your uplines are earning. You are told never to discuss with a "crossline" (aka another distributor that is not up or down) because if you did and talked about income, you'd come to the realization that you are making pennies or losing money and will eventually figure out that it was all a big scam.

How long have you been working with/for Amway and how much have you earned? How long do you work a day? How many appointments do you set up per day? How many books, tapes, seminars have you attended and how much have those cost you?

Answer these questions honestly and if you are telling the truth and make a lot, I'll praise you for it.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM
noted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverthorn View Post
Have you purchased any books and tapes? How much have you earned while working for Amway. I know you're trained not to tell your income and it's "none of our business". But if it's so great, let us know how much you're earning.

Better yet, let us know how much your uplines are earning. You are told never to discuss with a "crossline" (aka another distributor that is not up or down) because if you did and talked about income, you'd come to the realization that you are making pennies or losing money and will eventually figure out that it was all a big scam.

How long have you been working with/for Amway and how much have you earned? How long do you work a day? How many appointments do you set up per day? How many books, tapes, seminars have you attended and how much have those cost you?

Answer these questions honestly and if you are telling the truth and make a lot, I'll praise you for it.
He cannot and will not answer those questions..

But I bet he will say It does not matter what I earn only what you can earn...

I was at a meeting a week ago and the guy pointed out on his powerpoint 5 people making 80k -100k a month..

Isn't it odd that at a pow wow meeting it is all look at all the money.. But when someone asks on the internet it is all, I can't tell you.. or it doesn't matter..

It's all B.S.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Diamond Member

I built a profitable Amway business (verging on platinum) more than a decade ago which I walked away from for reasons that had nothing to do with Amway. That business continues to generate an income for my former wife today.

Since then (until very recently) I've not been actively building an Amway business (minus a few false starts) and have merely been a happy customer. Several years ago I got sick of seeing falsehoods, misinformation, and overgeneralizations about Amway on the internet and started challenging the critics with facts. That eventually lead to me starting the sites http://www.thetruthaboutamway.com, http://www.amwaywatch.com, http://www.amwaywiki.com and http://www.amwaytalk.com because I got sick of having to say the same thing over and over. One trigger was Scheibeler's "Merchants of Deception". While he has some clear misinformation in that book, I have no reason to believe that most of his experience is an honest recounting. My issue is that he writes as if it's a story about Amway, when it's really just a story about his business and the organisation he worked with (many of whom have since left or been kicked out of Amway for unethical business practices)

Extremely little of what I read in his book was or is my experience. Despite what he'll have you believe, Scheibeler was a small fish in a huge ocean. It's extremely unfair, and illogical, to extrapolate his experience to the whole world of Amway. Yes there are others with similar experiences, but when you realise virtually all of them seem to have been living in the same eddy of the Amway ocean, it's pretty silly to claim the whole ocean is the same.

Still, unless you believe nobody can make money from Amway, my experience is irrelevant. All it does is show that experiences like Scheibeler's are not universal. Average incomes for "crossline" a published by Amway, I've already provided them on this thread.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
noted...

Quote:

Still, unless you believe nobody can make money from Amway, my experience is irrelevant. All it does is show that experiences like Scheibeler's are not universal. Average incomes for "crossline" a published by Amway, I've already provided them on this thread.

So your just now back building the dream again? Ok..

Build that dream..

Or are you just here to advertise your sites, so you can make more money through ads.. Maybe you want to be an "expert" Like our Len ******..

Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I built a profitable Amway business (verging on platinum) more than a decade ago which I walked away from for reasons that had nothing to do with Amway. That business continues to generate an income for my former wife today.

Since then (until very recently) I've not been actively building an Amway business (minus a few false starts) and have merely been a happy customer. Several years ago I got sick of seeing falsehoods, misinformation, and overgeneralizations about Amway on the internet and started challenging the critics with facts. That eventually lead to me starting the sites http://www.thetruthaboutamway.com, http://www.amwaywatch.com, http://www.amwaywiki.com and http://www.amwaytalk.com because I got sick of having to say the same thing over and over. One trigger was Scheibeler's "Merchants of Deception". While he has some clear misinformation in that book, I have no reason to believe that most of his experience is an honest recounting. My issue is that he writes as if it's a story about Amway, when it's really just a story about his business and the organisation he worked with (many of whom have since left or been kicked out of Amway for unethical business practices)

Extremely little of what I read in his book was or is my experience. Despite what he'll have you believe, Scheibeler was a small fish in a huge ocean. It's extremely unfair, and illogical, to extrapolate his experience to the whole world of Amway. Yes there are others with similar experiences, but when you realise virtually all of them seem to have been living in the same eddy of the Amway ocean, it's pretty silly to claim the whole ocean is the same.

You will soon get fed up with the troll known as fastmoney, most of us pro-MLMers dont even reply to him now, so he trolls more and more
If you say that you made or make money from MLM he will call you a liar, etc, then others will post pictures of your house, car etc to ''prove'' that you dont make money...... its great fun on here. Take a look at the Yoli thread, and see how they treat Len ******, a very knowledgeable and successful MLMer.
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmoney View Post
So your just now back building the dream again? Ok..
No, mostly I feel like building a big Amway business to stick it to guys like you.

It's quite an incentive. Thanks!

Quote:
Or are you just here to advertise your sites, so you can make more money through ads.. Maybe you want to be an "expert" Like our Len ******..
I'd rank Len ****** an expert. The fact he's cited by folks like Professor Charles King (a University of Chicago marketing professor) is some evidence of that (see The New Professionals). I've only communicated with him a couple of times, to correct some (minor) incorrect statements he's made regarding Amway.