report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Retail Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Re: Direct Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger1109 View Post
In the first year when we furnished our living room, bought new flooring for the house, and got a new bedroom suite. We saved so much that the savings paid for our membership fee plus about $2,000. Since then we have bought more flooring for our home.
Quote:
We priced out our new kitchen for our new house, and even from the best discount stores and lumber liquidators between flooring and cabinets we are looking at cost difference of almost $15,000.
Make, model, size, quantity, color, manufacture, please and thank you.

Otherwise you are just another "happy customer" who posted the same happy story that all the others have, yet forgot to post any details, pictures, receipts, invoices or screen shots. And do not insult the intelligence of the readers here, receipts and invoices are your property and you can post them to prove your happy story. Just because Direct Buys won't post proof of anything does not preclude you from posting a shred of evidence of over 5 grand in purchases.

Oh, and have you ever seen a copy of any of the contracts that Best Buy says they have with their purported hundreds of manufactures that states that the manufacture demands that Best Buy not reveal their prices?

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Newbie Member

I have been accused of "trashing" Direct buy in my previous comments. I need to clarify a few things:

1) At no point have I ever posted a reply accusing DB to be a scam or otherwise. If anyone accuses me of doing so again, I will immediately conclude you are a shill. That is: you didn't read my posts and are simply paid to make ad hominem attacks to discredit my comments. If for some reason I am wrong and you truly are a satisfied customer then skip to point 5 below.

2) I actually believe that DB is a legitimate company. However, it runs afoul with its customers and others because it uses hard sales tactics and often gives no regard to potential customers' financial state despite a membership fee in the thousands (sounds like the subprime mess doesn't it?) As a result there is a lot of angst against this company.

3) Regarding this angst: perception is reality. In other words, I am sure most of it is well deserved. A company's reputation in the marketplace is the net result of the company's behavior. If a company behaves badly, it deserves the angst it receives. If it behaves as a good corporate citizen than it will earn goodwill. However, sometimes a company that behaves badly will often try to protect its goodwill by hiding its bad behavior. This brings us to why I even bother to reply to this thread.

4) We live in the information age where behaving badly catches up to you quickly. However, it seems that DB instead of trying to improve its reputation, simply tries to cover its tracks. Hence, this thread has grown to 6 pages of detritus offered up by shills paid by DB. I have documented the outright lies perpetuated by some of these individuals in my previous posts. They make truly stupid statements that don't hold together. Others are clearly better and harder to expose, but I am extremely skeptical of the satisfied customer on this site. Why? Point 5 below.

5) There is a very specific kind of person that probably benefits from a DB membership. Hence the reason you can't call DB a scam. However, there are clearly current and former members who feel they have been scammed. Just like how some people with subprime loans feel scammed. At the end of the day, it is the buyer's responsibility to make sound financial decisions. But, I do think that DB crosses the very thin line of being predatory and then seeks to hide its mistakes by using shills.

6) I am only concerned with exposing the shills. I have nothing to offer whether DB is a good buy or not. Caveat emptor!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Direct Buy called me today, and it sounded like a scam. After the call I googled them, and came across this thread and a few other sites saying similar bad things. I thought I'd share how the phone call went:

The one difference between what happened to me and other posts in this thread is that the "representative" said that I had won a contest. She said that I had won two round trip tickets to anywhere in the US, and that I didn't have to buy anything or do anything -- she just had to ask me a few questions to verify that I could accept the winnings. When I said that I didn't enter any contest for this, the response was that it could be part of something that I didn't realize I was entering, or I could have been referred by a friend. She wasn't surprised that I hadn't heard of the contest at all, and her response was rehearsed.

The first question that I had to answer to receive the "prize" was to validate my phone number, the second was if I lived near a certain city, the third was if I had a photo ID that I could show, and the fourth... was if I was married or had a live-in girlfriend. I don't, I'm single. If they wanted to know that for their data-base or something, ok, but as a prerequisite for winning a contest? Seemed fishy. What's weirder, is that when I told the representative that I was single, she asked if I knew anybody who was married or had a live-in girlfriend, because maybe they could come and "collect the prize" for me. At this point, a bunch of red flags are going off. I'm thinking why can't they just email the information for the tickets to me instead of having to go anywhere, and how is it possible I'm excluded from winning the prize if I'm single, yet the representative on the phone -- an agent for them -- is hinting that I fraud the contest by sending friends.

I said that yes, I knew couples, but this sounded fishy. She said that no, it was fine, I could just get a couple to "come to the warehouse for an hour and a half" and the tickets would be mine. Like that doesn't sound scary/like a scam.

After this, the representative said "oh yeah, you can either win just the tickets, or a whole vacation package for three days to a designated city, like Vegas." I like how she just forgot this part at first, real professional.

I asked for her name and number so I could call her back after I asked friends. She gave it to me. Then I asked her if Direct Buy had a web site, and then, she got a little short, and said she thinks it's just directbuy.com, and that she doesn't work for them, she works for a marketing firm on behalf of them.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Stick to thread topics please & don't scam.

My buddy has been a direct buy member for two years and has saved over $40,000. He carpetted his basement, bought tvs, furniture, and redid a bathroom.

The Direct Buy presentation was like a bad timeshare presentation, but this company is not a scam.

You truly get the wholesale prices. It is a little hard shopping from cataloges but it is also fun. We went shopping at a sporting goods store, wrote down some model numbers, went to Direct Buy, bought the set of irons and saved $300.

Direct Buy is not a scam.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
My buddy has been a direct buy member for two years and has saved over $40,000. He carpetted [sic] his basement, bought tvs, furniture, and redid a bathroom.

The Direct Buy presentation was like a bad timeshare presentation, but this company is not a scam.

You truly get the wholesale prices. It is a little hard shopping from cataloges [sic] but it is also fun. We went shopping at a sporting goods store, wrote down some model numbers, went to Direct Buy, bought the set of irons and saved $300.

Direct Buy is not a scam.
No offense, but these sort of statements make you sound like a shill. Let me explain why:

- Your buddy's the DB member yet YOU saved money??? Very inconsistent statement. Unless your telling me I can freeload off my buddy's membership. In which case, that's a great idea!!! Why has no one mentioned this before?? Much better than paying thousands for the privilege to save money.

- Your location is The Matrix??? but you drive to the sporting goods store to get part numbers to comparison shop the DB catalog???? Truly bizarre behavior: but every shill claims to have done this over and over again as if undeniable PROOF that DB saves you money.

- You throw out useless numbers for emotional effect. "Saved over $40,000". There is a simple equation to get an idea whether this is even a reasonable statement. Take your statement in math form:
P[market] - P[direct buy] = $40,000
Let's assume your buddy saved on average 25% versus the market price. Then,
P[direct buy] = P[market] x (100% - 25%)
Thus, P[direct buy], in other words the total dollars your buddy has spent at DB (the only really relevant number), is easily found to be $120,000. WOW! Your buddy has some real coin to throw around on his basement and bathroom.
- I am glad you feel you saved $300 on whatever it is you bought (don't care). But, from what I understand, DB membership costs upwards to $5,000 or more with annual membership fees. Therefore, saving the occasional $300 here and there is a MONEY LOSING PROPOSITION unless I plan to spend something north of $100,000 on renovations, etc. But then, we are now talking about something completely different, aren't we?

So these statements do nothing to back up your conclusion that DB is not a scam. My suggestion is get your story straight first before posting why DB is not a scam.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I am new at Scam.com

My advice is: DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!
Unless you are building a house, there is no advantage and your $5000.00 membership fee will buy you headache and frustration.

We are also building a house, (which was the reason for joining) but the savings are a bit exaggerated. We will save money in the long run and recoup the membership fee, but as soon as we are done I'll be cancelling the membership. Not worth it. TVs go on sale regularly and even the recruiters agree that you can buy them cheaper from clearance sales and store promotions.

The DirectBuy website is very limited and the center always too busy. To place an order you need to wait in line anywhere between half hour to two hours sometimes. Can you believe it???? I hate that place. Makes my skin crawl every time I have to go there.....
I've purchased some appliances recently and the shipping and handling fees are quite high, making the prices not as appealing... and there is the problem of picking it up from the center and ofcourse the waiting time. If you go to the Brick they will bring it to your doorsteps within a few days not weeks...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atka View Post
The DirectBuy website is very limited and the center always too busy. To place an order you need to wait in line anywhere between half hour to two hours sometimes. Can you believe it???? I hate that place. Makes my skin crawl every time I have to go there.....
I've purchased some appliances recently and the shipping and handling fees are quite high, making the prices not as appealing... and there is the problem of picking it up from the center and ofcourse [sic] the waiting time. If you go to the Brick they will bring it to your doorsteps within a few days not weeks...
Atka, thank you for your candid reply. These sort of experiences sound remarkably different and yet honest compared to the typical DB shill response of: been a DB member for years and have saved $40,000.

Unfortunately in the science of Economics, the $5000 membership fee is a sunk cost and not something you will actually recoup. Should be clear why after reading below.

In my post above, I hinted at a formula to determine how much must be purchased to save an arbitrary sum like the poster above who stated his friend saved $40,000. The actual formula is:
P[direct buy] = Savings x (100% - % Saved) / % Saved

The difficulty comes in what to use for % Saved once you factor in all the costs of S&H, tax, etc. (just ignore the membership fee right now). But assume 25% and

P[direct buy] = $40,000 x (100% - 25%) / 25% = $120,000

So, if the poster's friend saved $40,000 and averaged (this is very important btw) 25% savings versus market price, he purchased $120,000 in goods from direct buy. A truly staggering sum indeed!!!!

Now, as I mentioned the difficulty comes in what percentage to use for % Saved. But, there are boundaries, for example, % Saved must be less than 100%, but not necessarily greater than 0%!!! Think about the implications of that!

But, if I substitute 75% average saved then $120,000 becomes $13,333, so one can see that the % Saved is not a trivial assumption.

Continuing with this example, let's assume for a second that you truly do save on average 75% (not realistic but useful for making some points). Then to save $40,000, you need to spend $13,333. However, this is a skewed way of evaluating whether a DB membership is worth it. A better analysis is below.

For example, you are planning a renovation. You budget $10,000 for materials without a DB membership. A DB membership costs $5,000. Should you get it?

Let's assume you don't plan to go over budget and only spend $10,000. If you get the DB membership, you now have only $5,000 left to spend on the renovation. You don't even need a fancy formula to know that you need to save on average 50% or more to fund the renovation now and we are not even talking about upgrades which the shills like to tout.

Now, let's assume my renovation will cost $50,000. Is DB membership worth it now? Again, assuming $5,000 for membership and we don't over budget, you have $45,000 left for the renovation. What average percentage do you need to achieve? Well, the answer is 10%.

Thus, from these two examples, it should be clear how to evaluate whether a DB membership is worth it:

1. What is your Budget?
2. Subtract $5,000 or whatever the fee is from your Budget: this is your Direct Buy Budget.
3. Calculate the % Savings needed to not go over your Budget using the formula below:
% Savings Needed = Direct Buy Fee / Budget
If you feel you can achieve these savings, then buy all means join provided the hassle factor doesn't outweigh the savings. One can see from this formula that the percent savings needed decreases as the Budget increases. This gets back to a statement from an earlier post that direct buy probably benefits a very specific person: that person is someone who spends literally tens of thousands of dollars on renovations or, in your case, are building a house. If you have a modest renovation planned (e.g. less than $20,000) then it is highly doubtful you will achieve the savings needed to justify the membership fee.

So stepping back for a moment what what can we conclude?

1. The real driver to all these numbers is the membership fee. If it was smaller, for example, $1000, then even modest budgets of say $10,000 might make sense.

2. On the other hand, even if you have a large budget, like over $50,000, do you really want to be locked into the DB catalog? Those kind of budgets usually involve custom work that you wouldn't source from the box store, let alone the DB catalog. Not mention that buying $50,000 worth of merchandise is A LOT of hassle. I have never built a custom home, but I have a lot of friends who have and the feedback is always the same: NEVER AGAIN, TOO MUCH WORK! I can't imagine what the experience would be like if you tacked on DB hassles as well.

3. So, who does the Direct Buy membership really benefit? Still waiting for an answer on this one.

4. Finally, statements like: my buddy saved $40,000, are just patently false.

Hopefully, all this serves as a useful tool to those considering membership because the shills on here just use emotion and lies.

Last edited by ALittleVoice : 03-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Newbie Member

You are mistakenly assuming that you need to make back the initial investment all in one purchase. If you amortize the savings over 10 years (the length of the initial membership term) then you only need to save $500 per year plus inflation to 'pay for' your membership.
Since the upfront cost is so high, membership should not be seen as a short term investment, but for those it is right for, as a long term investment.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleVoice View Post
Atka, thank you for your candid reply. These sort of experiences sound remarkably different and yet honest compared to the typical DB shill response of: been a DB member for years and have saved $40,000.

Unfortunately in the science of Economics, the $5000 membership fee is a sunk cost and not something you will actually recoup. Should be clear why after reading below.

In my post above, I hinted at a formula to determine how much must be purchased to save an arbitrary sum like the poster above who stated his friend saved $40,000. The actual formula is:

The difficulty comes in what to use for % Saved once you factor in all the costs of S&H, tax, etc. (just ignore the membership fee right now). But assume 25% and

P[direct buy] = $40,000 x (100% - 25%) / 25% = $120,000

So, if the poster's friend saved $40,000 and averaged (this is very important btw) 25% savings versus market price, he purchased $120,000 in goods from direct buy. A truly staggering sum indeed!!!!

Now, as I mentioned the difficulty comes in what percentage to use for % Saved. But, there are boundaries, for example, % Saved must be less than 100%, but not necessarily greater than 0%!!! Think about the implications of that!

But, if I substitute 75% average saved then $120,000 becomes $13,333, so one can see that the % Saved is not a trivial assumption.

Continuing with this example, let's assume for a second that you truly do save on average 75% (not realistic but useful for making some points). Then to save $40,000, you need to spend $13,333. However, this is a skewed way of evaluating whether a DB membership is worth it. A better analysis is below.

For example, you are planning a renovation. You budget $10,000 for materials without a DB membership. A DB membership costs $5,000. Should you get it?

Let's assume you don't plan to go over budget and only spend $10,000. If you get the DB membership, you now have only $5,000 left to spend on the renovation. You don't even need a fancy formula to know that you need to save on average 50% or more to fund the renovation now and we are not even talking about upgrades which the shills like to tout.

Now, let's assume my renovation will cost $50,000. Is DB membership worth it now? Again, assuming $5,000 for membership and we don't over budget, you have $45,000 left for the renovation. What average percentage do you need to achieve? Well, the answer is 10%.

Thus, from these two examples, it should be clear how to evaluate whether a DB membership is worth it:

1. What is your Budget?
2. Subtract $5,000 or whatever the fee is from your Budget: this is your Direct Buy Budget.
3. Calculate the % Savings needed to not go over your Budget using the formula below:
% Savings Needed = Direct Buy Fee / Budget
If you feel you can achieve these savings, then buy all means join provided the hassle factor doesn't outweigh the savings. One can see from this formula that the percent savings needed decreases as the Budget increases. This gets back to a statement from an earlier post that direct buy probably benefits a very specific person: that person is someone who spends literally tens of thousands of dollars on renovations or, in your case, are building a house. If you have a modest renovation planned (e.g. less than $20,000) then it is highly doubtful you will achieve the savings needed to justify the membership fee.

So stepping back for a moment what what can we conclude?

1. The real driver to all these numbers is the membership fee. If it was smaller, for example, $1000, then even modest budgets of say $10,000 might make sense.

2. On the other hand, even if you have a large budget, like over $50,000, do you really want to be locked into the DB catalog? Those kind of budgets usually involve custom work that you wouldn't source from the box store, let alone the DB catalog. Not mention that buying $50,000 worth of merchandise is A LOT of hassle. I have never built a custom home, but I have a lot of friends who have and the feedback is always the same: NEVER AGAIN, TOO MUCH WORK! I can't imagine what the experience would be like if you tacked on DB hassles as well.

3. So, who does the Direct Buy membership really benefit? Still waiting for an answer on this one.

4. Finally, statements like: my buddy saved $40,000, are just patently false.

Hopefully, all this serves as a useful tool to those considering membership because the shills on here just use emotion and lies.
A little Voice.
Please don't take me wrong. I would not recommend joining Direct Buy to anyone and when I'm in the center and see new people being recruited all I want to tell them is don't do it. (Sometimes I do....)
I know we got taken and have to make the best of it, but I do believe that personally we will recup our money. I am a savvy shopper and do compare my prices. I had a quote done by DirectBuy for my kitchen and bathroom cabinets through KitchenKraft. Since I've paid for the designing of the kitchen, the plan is now my property... I've taken it to another store, claiming that they will beat anyone's prices and got then to price it for me. Their best offer was $10 000.00 higher on the same thing. We are not compering apples to oranges here. All the specs were on the DirBuy Quote. I just whited out the prices and company name. Yes there are hipping and handling costs involved, but there also deals with every catalog that come out. The current one is "free delivery" or most popular 15% off the cost of the cabinets... so in all, I will get my money back...

Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmywordz View Post
You are mistakenly assuming that you need to make back the initial investment all in one purchase. If you amortize the savings over 10 years (the length of the initial membership term) then you only need to save $500 per year plus inflation to 'pay for' your membership.
Since the upfront cost is so high, membership should not be seen as a short term investment, but for those it is right for, as a long term investment.

markmywordz:

Don't even bother to respond to this. I have read your posts and you act just like a shill.

First, I am NOT mistaken!!!!!! I made NO statements about making a single purchase. Read my post again!

I was merely making what might look like a complex analysis easier with a simple example for those less familiar with financial calculations. Yes, it may appear on the surface that I was claiming you had to make a single purchase. If that is the case then thank you, for people need to understand how to correctly apply this analysis.

You want to turn the analysis around and say: you just need to save $500 per year over the next ten years. Well, I suggest that anyone you looks at it this way versus the budget analysis I gave above, is truly not financially savvy enough and SHOULD NOT purchase a DB membership.

Whether your budget is in a single year or over ten years, be sure to have a budget. The reason this is important is it puts the cost of a DB membership in perspective. People act like saving $500 per year is like depositing money in a bank account. That's just not the case at all.

So let's use your $500 per year COST! Yes, COST, EXPENSE, that I can't even depreciate or take tax deductions against. The DB membership is in no way an investment, long or short, unless you can sell your membership like a time share. But I swear, whenever I point out these small yet important points, the shills are eerily silent.

We will need to modify the formula a bit since we are now talking about a DB budget.

If I plan to spend $4,500 per year at DB then how much do I need to save versus the market?
% Savings Needed = Direct Buy Fee / (Direct Buy Budget + Direct Buy Fee)
% Savings Needed = $500 / ($4,500 + $500) = 10%
If you have the means to purchase $4,500 per year over the next 10 years (so $45,000) and you think you will achieve 10% savings then by all means join.

Notice how the analysis is actually the same? Let's try another. What if you can only afford to spend $500 per year on DB purchases?
% Savings Needed = $500 / ($500 + $500) = 50%
So again, the same result. If you spend $500 per year for a total of $5,000 and can achieve at least 50% in savings then by all means join.

Now again, don't bother to respond to this post unless you have something constructive to say. Simply saying I am mistaken is shill-like behavior. This is a sound and solid analysis.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atka View Post
A little Voice.
Please don't take me wrong. I would not recommend joining Direct Buy to anyone and when I'm in the center and see new people being recruited all I want to tell them is don't do it. (Sometimes I do....)
I know we got taken and have to make the best of it, but I do believe that personally we will recup our money. I am a savvy shopper and do compare my prices. I had a quote done by DirectBuy for my kitchen and bathroom cabinets through KitchenKraft. Since I've paid for the designing of the kitchen, the plan is now my property... I've taken it to another store, claiming that they will beat anyone's prices and got then to price it for me. Their best offer was $10 000.00 higher on the same thing. We are not compering apples to oranges here. All the specs were on the DirBuy Quote. I just whited out the prices and company name. Yes there are hipping and handling costs involved, but there also deals with every catalog that come out. The current one is "free delivery" or most popular 15% off the cost of the cabinets... so in all, I will get my money back...

Atka, I am glad you feel the membership was worth it. Based on your comments I can conclude the following:

I. You plan to save 15% on cabinets. How much do I need to spend? To save $5,000 membership fee?
P[direct buy] = $5,000 x (100% - 15%) / 15% = $28,333
So, you only need to spend $28,333 at direct buy to recoup your membership fee. I say "only" because that is a staggering sum of money for most people.

II. You are clearly achieving $10,000 in savings. Therefore:
P[direct buy] = $10,000 x (100% - 15%) / 15% = $56,667
You are spending over $50,000 in cabinets at DB. Wow! That is an impressive sum. Congratulations. I am happy for you. I am sure that kitchen will look great.

Last edited by ALittleVoice : 03-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I looked at what we bought and what we saved versus the marketplace pricing from other people. I added in the fees etc. associated with direct buy and discounted the tax off of each since tax would be calculated on a higher amount versus a lower amount it would tend to skew the average percentage over market saved. My average of savings on all the things we have purchased over the last three years. Mostly furniture and flooring has average 58.73% We have saved $5,328.67 on our purchases versus best deal pricing I could find when checking these items. See I am kind of a cheap guy, even though we paid the membership fee, I wouldn't pay more at direct buy for something I could buy right now at the same or lower price as direct buy. As I stated before it is right if you are working on redoing a house and have many large expenditures coming up in the near future. next two to three years. If not don't do it. But if you are building a house, remodling a house etc. It is well worth the money. Just because something is a hard sale doesn't make it a scam. They just know what they have to offer you, and ask simply that you choose if your in or you are out.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Direct Buy Is Not A Scam. Happy member for 3 years. Medmbership paid for itself times 10, I swear.

Their sales pitch is too time sharey, but I get why they do it.

Please Register at Scam.com
& Please Join Our Growing Community. Free Health Advice

Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Direct Buy Is Not A Scam. Happy member for 3 years. Medmbership paid for itself times 10, I swear.

Their sales pitch is too time sharey, but I get why they do it.
Clearly, you can't do math.

Unless you spend over $250,000 you can't save 10 times the direct buy fees. If you spent that much then you can get better prices than direct buy offers.

Another direct buy person trying to justify their scam.

DIRECT BUY IS A SCAM, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger1109 View Post
average 58.73% We have saved $5,328.67 on our purchases versus best deal
You are another DIRECT BUY representative trying to justify their scam. Your numbers do not make sense. I can find anything DIRECT BUY sells much less in the open market.

Hopefully, that company will be gone soon.

Last edited by SmartShopper : 03-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartShopper View Post
You are another DIRECT BUY representative trying to justify their scam. Your numbers do not make sense. I can find anything DIRECT BUY sells much less in the open market.

Hopefully, that company will be gone soon.
Smart Shopper.....your analysis is way off because you don't have any idea how much the percentage discount that each item is.

Part of the problem is that you are not a member. I don't think you understand that when you buy from the catalogs, you are not just getting a discount. You are buying from the SAME catalogs that buyers for retailers buy from and you get the same price they do. You are assuming a discount that is far smaller than what Direct Buy actually gets. That's how you come up with the ridiculous claim that you'd need to spend $250,000 to make up the price of the membership, which is just pure bull****.

At DirectBuy, you buy direct from the manufacturer with no middle man retailer markup.

There are a few categories that have lower discounts, like home electronics, TV's for example where because of the big volume of the big box stores they actually get a better price than in the catalog, so it is smarter to buy them for less at those big box stores. But those are only for a few categories and they still have those catalogs and they are clearly labeled 'Reference' which means they won't let you buy out of them because you will pay more.

But for every reference catalog there are at least 100 others where you will save more buying at DirectBuy. The reference shelf has maybe 10 or 15 catalogs but then there are about 1000 others where the discount is substantial. Most are at least 50% off and many are even higher.

So you should quit spouting off about needing to spend a quarter million dollars to make back your membership fee. Since you put garbage into your calculations because you are ignorant of the true discount numbers, then your end result is the same.....pure garbage.

If you want to continue to pay retail...then by all means please go give your money away to the retailers and pretend that you are a smart shopper and leave everybody else alone.

I'll take my 50% plus discounts and know that I made the truly smart shopping choice.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Stick to thread topics please & don't scam.

Direct Buy is not a scam. I run this website know firsthand that this company is legit and worth a membership.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Newbie Member

I remain subscribed to this thread, continuing to keep up with comments on DB and from time to time, I feel compelled to speak up to provide updates on my experience with Direct Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviat View Post
Direct Buy is not a scam. I run this website know firsthand that this company is legit and worth a membership.
Because it's true that DB has not been put out of business for illegal business practices, it should be said "by default", that unless or until proven otherwise they are considered a legitimate business. However, as a DB member for several years (initial membership is 3 years) I can say with conviction it has NOT been worth it for us, and we are remodeling a home from top to bottom.

See more about that in my previous two post, here:
http://www.scam.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=163
And here:
http://www.scam.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=175

As an addendum to my previous two post we also installed new base cabinets before setting in the granite. So, I wanted to add that Direct Buy also provided a a cabinet quote when we did the kitchen remodel. Unfortunately, Diamond (the so called "Top Quality" brand they handle) could not provide one of the cabinets we needed, so that one would need to be custom built and was not included in the quote. Even so, their quote without that cabinet was OVER $4800 PLUS the Direct Buy SURCHARGE, PLUS TAXES, PLUS SHIPPING & HANDLING, PLUS WE WERE ON OUR OWN FOR INSTALLATION...

Ultimately, we hired a professional cabinet maker to build one off custom cabinets to the design, style, finish & color we desired using top quality all wood construction. We also added roll out shelving, two wine racks and several other custom features not even available through any mfg.
To assure quality hardware, we also specked out the drawer glides and hinges selecting every aspect such as brand, type, style, and angle of hinge opening etc. The end result is we now have very solid and beautiful top quality custom built all wood construction cabinets with "NO CHEAP Veneers, Melamine, or flimsy easy to break JUNK Hardware")

The end result is our cabinets took two weeks longer than what was expected for delivery had we purchased through DB. A small sacrifice considering our cabinets have a quality of construction that is unmatched by any manufactured cabinetry, plus they have a look and finish rivaling that of fine hand crafted furniture.

But, what about the price you ask???

Before I answer that question, you should know this is AN ALL INCLUSIVE FINAL PRICE it includes taxes, delivery and yes EVEN INSTALLATION, so there are NO ADD ON Charges, it included EVERYTHING...

Our final installed and totally finished price $5600 for 13 custom built base cabinets which as stated above includes the oven cabinet we would have had to pay extra for if we purchased through Direct Buy...

NOTE: In all fairness, I must also say that had we purchased through any of the big box stores, or other retailer of manufactured cabinets, none could supply the oven cabinet. Regarding, the quotes we received from those vendors, we attempted to find the same Diamond Cabinets for an apples to apples comparison, however, that proved difficult. This forced us to then compare by looking at quality of construction, design, & materials used. Our opinion is that equal quality manufactured cabinets could be had for about the same price from the big box stores as from Direct Buy.

Throughout the renovation of a 3000 square foot home, we have invested significantly on major projects that include flooring, cabinets, granite, appliances, furniture etc, yet we still have not realized any significant savings through Direct Buy.

THE BOTTOM LINE...
"Is a Direct Buy membership worth it?
This Members opinion is an emphatic NO!

And just in case you did not understand... I'll say it again in a way that perhaps you'll understand....

SAVE YOUR MONEY, DON'T DO IT ! ! !